Rooting LuminOS

Hey!

How can I root LuminOS on Magic Leap 2?

Cheers, Kegom

Hi @kegom,

Thank you for reaching out to us. I have consulted our team and I will report back as soon as I learn more.

Best,

El

1 Like

Thank you! :slight_smile: Opening the bootloader relate to this so please consulate your team also about it.

We do not allow users to root Magic Leap 2 devices. Note LuminOS was the OS used by Magic Leap 1. Android is the OS used for Magic Leap 2.

I understand that you don't want allow users get root access to your Android, but locking users own hardware from themselves, preventing them running the software they want on their own computer is TBH rude.

Have you any plans to allow users open the bootloader? If not, why?

Is there a specific feature you would like access to that is not currently available on the device?

We have needs for developing purposes (ability use all kernel level APIs directly, replace system services and modify the whole system) and we have wish to keep using the same OS on our all XR hardware. It's just better user experience. So far it's been mostly succeed since we've used only hardware with non-locked bootloaders.

Also, our company simply doesn't want to be dependent on software by only one company.

Can you tell, why is this? And can Magic Leap provide ML2s with non-locked bootloaders if we pay some extra? We respect if you want to control Magic Leap OS, but please don't do this for the hardware.

Additionally personally I believe that hardware with non-locked bootloaders is healthy for the ICT industry. I believe that users have right to run on their own computers (which are inherently universal machines) software as they wish.

Thank you for that information, the inability of rooting the device is for the same reason other manufacturers do not allow this such as Meta and Apple, however I can share your request with our voice of customer team.

The reason is what? And this comprasion is bad since Meta and Apple mainly manufacture consumer products with different goals than in the enterprise/business market. Also Apple is famous of its dirty stance in thinks like this (locking, serialing, making devices incompatible, etc) and I'm not sure, do you want to be part of that group?

Thank you, I appreciate :slight_smile: