OS 1.9.0 install failed, gives dead support link

I have tried to install OS 1.9.0. It failed with a timeout, then showed this link:

https://developer-docs.magicleap.cloud/docs/device-guides/updating-the-os/device-flashing-guide

This is a dead link. I tried to reboot the device, but now it's in a boot loop. Any suggestions? It worked fine up until the update

When you say that the device is in a boot loop, what color LEDs do you see on the compute pack? Your device might be stuck in fastboot mode if the LEDs look like the following image

Compute_Fastboot

If this is the case then you can exit fast boot mode by doing the following

• Ensure that your device is not connected to any cables.
    • Press and hold the Power button for 20 seconds.
    • Power on the device again
    • Reinsert the cable to connect the device to your computer and verify that it is detected by the MLHub and then try to reinstall the OS update.

It was stuck in a normal boot loop. It showed the standard Magic Leap logo with the bar under it moving left and right. So I put it back into fast boot using volume button and power. Now I cannot seem to get it out anymore, and my computer (or any else) does not recognize it anymore after a reboot of my computer. It looks like it boots normally after your prescribed procedure, but it goes back to fast boot again. Is there some magic key combination to get it alive again? The hub nor Windows does recognize it anymore. This is most unfortunate

It looks very much like this. Boot loopback, even after fastboot erase userdata and flashall_amd.bat

I don't understand. It worked fine until the update

When it is in fastboot mode you will not see the device through adb devices instead you will need to use fastboot devices to see if the device is connected.

You can try to run

fastboot reboot to exit fastboot

You can also manually try to re-update the device and include the -e command to erase user data. https://www.magicleap.care/hc/en-us/articles/5341445649805-Updating-Your-Device#Flashingyourdevice

I don't want to be rude, but this button

Is not available here

As far as I can see. I assume I must be here

C:\Users\joost\MagicLeap\firmware\ml2\B3E.240725.06-R.026_user_secure because there I see a flashall_amd.bat but how can I say which version I want to install? I find it all very unclear

fastboot reboot reboots indeed - into fastboot

After 14 minutes, it says

Magic Leap Inc. (C) 2022
Welcome to flashall_amd.bat v2.1.4

NOTE: CVIP and EC are flashed by default
Use --cvip-only to flash CVIP images only

Current VID: 0x2C55 PID:0xB201
In FASTBOOT MODE
Product Name: demophon
SSC is enabled
Device is PMF012
BIOS SIZE 16384
"ro.build.tags": "release-keys",

fastboot flash bios demophon_bios_ssc.FD
Sending 'bios' (16384 KB) OKAY [ 0.244s]
Writing 'bios' OKAY [ 40.736s]
Finished. Total time: 41.086s
Sleep for 1 seconds...
Set boot_to_fastboot flag
This flag will cause the device to boot to fastboot when set
It will be cleared after successful flash

fastboot oem config boot_to_fastboot 1

And seems to be stuck on that

The instructions were originally written for MLHub 2 which originally had a button like this next to the package manager.

I have shared your feedback regarding the OS update directory not being easy to locate inside MLHub 3 with the voice of customer team.

I have reached out to customer care to help with this post as they are more familiar with the flashing process.

Thank you. I have downloaded 1.8.0, now trying flashall_amd -e from that folder. It seems to be stuck as well

This flag will cause the device to boot to fastboot when set
It will be cleared after successful flash

fastboot oem config boot_to_fastboot 1

There is a flashing cursor under this text, that moves forward but stops at when it is below the space between "fastboot" and "when"

Which OS are you updating from?

@kbabilinski well, this is REALLY weird, but I have got it to work again. What I did was install the ML3 hub on a different device - my lowly Surface Go 3, download 1.8.0 on it, connected the ML2, and run flashall_amd -e again.

And it quickly installed everything. Okay, so now I have lost all my settings, but I have a functional device again. I am starting to think there is something that has changed on my main desktop computer that does not work well with Magic Leap. Anyway, going to install 1.9.0 again. Using the Surface Go 3. Fool me once :wink:

Update: 1.9.0 flash was successful as well. :relieved:

1 Like

Hi, I find it impossible to update the device on one of my computer as well. I thought it came from its usb ports, but maybe something software-related blocks the process on some machines.

May I ask you to submit your issue to our Customer Care team please, or email them at care@magicleap.com.

1 Like