Failed update and a possibly bricked device

Give us as much detail as possible regarding the issue you're experiencing.

ML2 OS version:
Started on B3E.220619.07-R.124, tried updating to
B3E.220721.07-R.026

Error messages from logs (syntax-highlighting is supported via Markdown): N/A

Just going to copy and paste what I had put into the discord channel earlier:

An OS update seems to have soft-bricked the device.
It wouldn't install properly via the lab 2.0, it kept saying that it was waiting for the device to enter fastboot, even though I confirmed that it was in fastboot mode already (did a "fastboot devices" in the terminal and saw it listed there).
I then used the flashall_amd script as per the docs (as some background, i'm very familiar with adb/fastboot/recovery as i used to build/maintain a custom build of android) however after that i got 3 red blinking lights (the ones that denote an error, not the middle 3 that show that you are in recovery mode). I believe it was the 3 to the right, which it looks like is "hardware failure". However, it would still boot into the OS after showing that. It was the old OS version though, not the new one.
That led me to trying to use the full recovery since it kept showing that error each time it rebooted, and it still refused to take the update.
I was able to do run it after some initial trial and error with the button combination to get it into recovery mode. However, the last instructions says to then boot into fastboot and install the OS update again, but i can't get back into fastboot. The manual instructions don't seem to work, and when i boot the device without pressing anything, the 5 white dots appear for a bit, then they turn off and the fan turns on (like it would with a normal boot) however the headset shows nothing and there is no ADB connection.
I saw the note in the flash script about only flashing a signed image to a signed device and an unsigned image to an unsigned device....i'm wondering if maybe that's the issue here. I had installed whatever package that The Lab 2.0 had downloaded, but I don't know if my device is signed/unsigned and i don't know which version The Lab 2.0 downloaded.
However, since the device won't boot now, I can't get into the software update page on the lab to check that.
I just tried booting into recovery again, and while I was able to get into recovery, my computer no longer recognizes the device.

2 Likes

@rmuk We'll set up a call with you to get this resolved. Are you available today?

1 Like

Yes I am. I'm US East coast and my schedule is pretty flexible.

1 Like

Hi Richard,

I'm reaching out to gather some information to exchange your Magic Leap 2. Can you please provide me the following information?

• Shipping Address
  • Phone #
  • Do you have the original packaging and shipping box your device came in?
  • Can you please confirm the impacted device's serial #? Is it G862XT00000W?

Best,
Cian

1 Like

Hello, just replying here to confirm that I had sent you an email with that information. If you didn't get it let me know.

2 Likes

I have the same issue. Please let us know what the resolution was.

2 Likes

For mine, since the USB port is no longer working in recovery mode, it seems like it'll need to be replaced, but check with the support crew first.

1 Like

Thanks. I am going through the same process.

I am assuming when you plug your ML2 into your computer, you are not hearing the "adding USB" sound. The only difference is we hear an "adding USB" sound when we plug in our ML2, but all our symptoms are the same. In case you are interested, I attached a PDF link of additional things we found and sent to the Magic leap team.

2 Likes

Appreciated, thanks! In my situation, the computer doesn't see anything at all once the USB cable is plugged in (if you open device manager, it doesn't refresh). If you are hearing something, then hopefully it can be fixed with a software flash in recovery once they have that available for you (instead of having to wait for a replacement)

2 Likes

Hi Richard,

We are preparing an advanced exchange for your device. What does that mean? It means we'll ship you a new one, and once you've received it you can ship the bricked one back to us. Our teams internally are working on a solution to the issue you encountered, however we'd prefer to act on the side of caution and get you a new device since we don't know when it'll be ready to go.

Best,
Cian

2 Likes

I ran into the update problem too. I couldn't get out from the Fastboot mode. But there is no red lights. The PC sees a USB device "Demophon" still but adb detects no devices.

1 Like

@rick , I would advise resuming from the instructions found here:

https://developer.magicleap.cloud/learn/docs/device-guides/updating-the-os/device-flashing-guide#manual-fastboot

1 Like

The solution works. I first flash to the previous working OS and then flashed the latest via Lab2.

2 Likes

This was super helpful thanks! (P.S. Mac M1 chips aren't friendly but this worked perfectly on windows)

1 Like

@nanoSam Your issue was resolved by some steps above?

1 Like

@sengelman I received the new ML2 and was able to update it successfully! Thanks to @thecianrice for expediting that. I'll be shipping the old one back ASAP.

1 Like