Jiggly splash screen for Unity app

The splash screen image for our app "jiggles" a lot while displayed (as if someone is shaking it; it moves randomly a few pixels in different directions like the outer container it is being shaken). This has been an issue way back since ML1 SDK - not new. Is this a known issue or is there any way to improve it?

Unity 2022.2.0.a14
B3E.220619.07-R.124
MLSDK 0.53.1

3 Likes

We've seen this as well on both the ML1 and ML2; would love to know any solution.

2 Likes

I see this on Hololens 2 as well, my guess is that happens before/while the openxr environment is being established. So the splash screen is "head locked" for a bit. That's just a guess though :slight_smile: I don't know of a work around.

2 Likes

Thanks for the replies guys - that helps; we'll chalk it up to a Unity issue for now and look deeper, time permitting.

2 Likes

Hi, I think this is due to the 2D splash logo rendering in a world frame that approximates a head-fixed coordinate frame using the inverse of headpose, except that some noise is never fully eliminated. There's a new "Headlock Graphics" feature (Project / XR Plug-In Management / Magic Leap Settings) that will headlock the entire Unity app and display a stable splash screen, but that's quite a high price to pay for a stable splash scree :wink:.

2 Likes

@dliston, that makes sense. Ironically, I noticed the same issue on my LG TV over the weekend int does look to be an Android thing, and you've given us some good ideas on how to mitigate it. Thank you. Adding an animation actually helps a bit.

1 Like

@cstavros , I've seen this for years, as well. I'm going to capture this as official feedback so the proper brass gets their eyes on the fact that customers are experiencing this.

1 Like

Curiously, I also noticed this is not happening in our build for Quest, presently. So perhaps it is environment specific. We'll also see if we can narrow down the differences. Thank you.

1 Like