Dynamic Dimming flickering

Give us as much detail as possible regarding the issue you're experiencing:

Unity Editor version: Unity 2022.3.21f1
ML2 OS version: Version 1.7.0 ; Android API Level 34
Unity SDK version: 2.2.0
Magic Leap SDK version : 2.2.0
Host OS: Windows 10

I wish to use dynamic dimming so as to make it possible for users to very concretely look at the digital content, while being aware of their physical environment (so as to avoid collisions).
I notice the following:

1. The dimming is not strong enough, thus allowing for transparency of the digital content.
  2. More importantly, it looks like the dynamic dimming performs "jumps", which are visible even when looking at the device's lenses from a distance. This causes the content to switch from dimmed to not-dimmed and from translucent to opaque fast, resulting in dizziness and discomfort.

I have made sure that:

• I have made sure to enable Segmented Device from on the device in Settings > Display > Segmented Dimming.
  • AlphaBlend mode is used.
  • I have the same rendering pipeline settings as instructed here.
  • I do not explicitly activate Segmented Dimming (Simple Usecase). However doing so does not seem to induce any changes.
  • I have attempted using one of the pre-configured viewing modes to see whether the effect is mitigated. While it seems that the Vivid mode seems to make the digital content sharper (e.g. colours) and more opaque than with the default settings (which is very desirable), it is still possible to make the same "jumping" effect of the Segmented Dimming happen.

Do you have any suggestions as to what I can do from my side?

Would it be possible to get a sample application for us to reproduce the issue?

To answer some of your questions:

1. The dimmer is not 100% opaque and at this time there is not a way to increase the dimmer beyond the value set inside the device's display settings.
  2. The dimmer panel is lower resolution than the main display, which means that content that is moving or scaling can cause the dimmer panel to slightly flicker as the device tries to manage scenarios when the virtual content is between two Segmented Dimmer pixels.

To learn about some of the best practices using the segmented dimmer, see our Dynamic Dimming display guidelines : Design Guidelines | MagicLeap Developer Documentation