Segmented Dimming not working at all

Give us as much detail as possible regarding the issue you're experiencing.

Unity Editor version: 2022.2.0b.10
ML2 OS version:B3E.220818.12-R.085_user_secure
MLSDK version:0.53.3
Host OS: Windows 10

Error messages from logs (syntax-highlighting is supported via Markdown):

I've set up Unity and have successfully published to my ML2. I've setup up the render pipline and added the SegmentedDimming layer and followed the rest of the setup instructions here:
https://developer-docs.magicleap.cloud/docs/0.53.2/guides/unity/display/unity-segmented-dimming

I've then created both 2D, 3D objects and Text created mask objects to place behind these (I also tested putting them in in front of these and around these) and set their layer to SegmentedDimming. The dark shape disappears (which I'd expect) but no dimming occurs.

So far I can see global dimming that I can adjust in my settings but the segmented part does not appear to function. Does anyone have more info on this?

1 Like

@dwilday , do you see anything in the logs that may point to some clues? Can you post some of those logs?

1 Like

Hi @dwilday can you double check that this is enabled:

• The dimmer should be enabled at the OS level.
  • Unspecific to Unity, you must enable the dimmer in the Android Settings app on the headset by going to Settings > Display > Segmented Dimming.
1 Like

Same issue for me.
(Yet, the segmented dimming is enabled in the settings)

1 Like

@dwilday @CecJ we will need logs to be able to debug. Can you please provide some? Syntax-highlighting is supported in this forum.

1 Like

Hi @dwilday and @CecJ, any luck getting the logs?

1 Like

We have a very simple project to test segmented dimming that is not working at all. Is it possible to send it to Magic Leap team for investigation ? Maybe are we doing something wrong (although we followed the online guide : MagicLeap Developer Documentation).

1 Like

Hi @CecJ and @dwilday ,

Can you please upgrade your project to the latest SDK (1.0.0).
Additionally, can you send us the logs from your Unity project?
Finally, if you are adding the Segmented Dimming to a mesh in the same location as the object you want to highlight, make sure that the Segmented Dimmer object is scaled up larger than the object you are trying to highlight. The Segmented Dimmer optics layer has a lower resolution than the rest of the display, and for this reason it's possible for it to not fully reach the outer edge of the object you want segmented if its way too close in scale to it. Try doing it with an exaggerated scale first to see if it shows.

Also, you MUST use the Segmented Dimmer material provided with the SDK in order for the segmented dimming to actually work. We've updated our documentation last week to reflect that.

2 Likes

Thanks for your reply.
We've tried to add the Segmented Dimmer material as adviced. Unfortunately and weirdly enough, the material is all white and no effect is shown at runtime, just a big white square. We're trying to obfuscate the background with a UI design. We started with a simple square at the background of a white text.
While the process in the documentation is very easy to follow, yet no dimming result for us unfortunately.

1 Like

@CecJ We can't help until you provide us with logs. There will be some indication of why it is not working in there.

1 Like

Sorry for the delay I've been working on a number of different projects and this aspect fell by the wayside. I'll try again with the new SDK when I get a moment.

1 Like

Hello! I had the same problem with the latest SDK (1.0.0) - I compiled the Unity example scene for segmented dimming (following the all settings in the documentation), but the segmented material is white.
It worked when I reverted back to SDK 0.53.3

1 Like