Ask about plane detection

In my video attached, I am testing plane detection.
At the beginning of the video, I was testing on the road surface and I found that the detection seemed difficult.
In the middle of the video, I'm trying to walk on a slope and it can't detect any planes.
At the end of the video, I go inside the lobby and it works great.
I want to ask 2 questions:

1. Does plane detection work well outdoors? (specifically with the road surface).
  2. As far as I know, plane detection only detects horizontal and vertical planes. It can't detect an inclined plane (like a slope on a road surface) right? If so, what do I need to do to make it work?
    This is my video : ML Plane detection - YouTube
    Unity Editor version: 2022.3.1f1
    ML2 OS version:1.3.0
    MLSDK version:1.3
    Host OS: Window

I also tested plane detection at an outdoor my test site.
road surface detection test

It seems that the road surface can be detected "partially".

My impression is
"under the shade" is relatively detectable, but it seems that "under the sunny" is difficult to detect.

Is that normal?

Looks like your roadface has better flatness than mine, can you try it on a slope?

Okay, I will try on a "sloping road".

1 Like

I tested plane detection on the slope road.
It seems that the road surface of the slope can also be detected.

However, it seems that some tips are needed.

I hope the Leapers will comment on the tips for accurate and speedy plane detection on outdoor (hot) slopes.

We do not officially support outdoor environments and have not tested our APIs on outdoor surfaces such as roads or cobblestone. That said, here are some tips to possibly improve detection:

• To detect all plane orientations, make sure to update the plane query flags to include PlanesSubsystem.Extensions.MLPlanesQueryFlags.AllOrientations
  • If it seems that the plane is too small, try adjusting the BoundsExtents query parameter.

I also recommend trying our meshing api to get more accurate geometry.

2 Likes

We appreciate your precise suggestions.
Based on your suggestions, we will implement the Plane Detection function in our system.

1 Like