MRTK2 hand tracking is quite buggy

I have been trying out MRTK2 with Magic Leap 2. Mainly for hand tracking but noticed that it is quite buggy. For example pinch input seems to automatically register itself and select things without the user physically pinching at all. I can see on the dev page of ML2 it says that hand tracking has some issues.

Are there any update coming soon that will fix this?

Unity Editor version: 2022.2.0b9.3080
ML2 OS version: B3E.220818.12-R.046-R.417
MLSDK version: 1.0.0
MLMRTK: 1.0.0
Host OS: Windows 10

1 Like

@jc1 The hand tracking feature on the Magic Leap 2 is constantly improving and most updates include noticeable improvements to the key-point stability. That said, you can expect the hand tracking to get better in the November Release.

If you notice a specific pose or environment that performs particularly poorly, please let us know.

1 Like

This is just my impression of the situation, but while the accuracy of hand tracking has improved, MRTK's hand tracking is not accurate enough to be of practical use. Critically, there are cases where hand tracking does not work at all.
To begin with, the Magic Leap 2 OS and SDK in general are still in beta quality and far from enterprise-ready.

@tokufxug thank you for your feedback. To make sure we can improve our integration, can you do the following:

1. Disable hand tracking smoothing on the hand inout provider.

2. Record videos where hand tracking fails or behaves unexpectedly.