Missing permission in Unity Editor blocks app

Give us as much detail as possible regarding the issue you're experiencing.

Unity Editor version: 2022.3.2f1
ML2 OS version: 1.3.0-dev2
MLSDK version: 1.0.6
Host OS: (Windows/MacOS) Windows 11

Error messages from logs (syntax-highlighting is supported via Markdown):
Error: Missing permission com.magicleap.permission.WEBVIEW
Error: Error: MLZIPermissionsIsGranted in the Magic Leap API failed. Reason: MLResult_NotImplemented

Additional Note: This is an MRTK3 project, so I am not using the Magic Leap simulator. I am using the MRTKInputSimulator instead. Zero Iteration shouldn't be active.

I have a web browser in my app - based on the Magic Leap web browser example. When I try to run it in editor, I get a message that permissions for WEBVIEW have not been granted in the Unity editor. I was curious, how do I grant device permissions when I'm running in editor?

Yours,
James

Hi @jamesashley1,

Thank you for reaching out regarding this issue and the detailed explanation. I've reached out to the team to see what best practices are when granting the ML2 permissions outside of the app simulator.

Best,

El

Hi @jamesashley1,

Thank you for reaching out regarding this. Unfortunately at this time, com.magicleap.permission.WEBVIEW is an ML specific permission and would only work within App Sim.

However App Sim does not support WebView at this time.

Apologies for the inconvenience. May I ask more about your use-case? Perhaps there is a workaround.

Best,

El

Not sure this makes sense. You're saying WebView only works on the App Sim, but also the App Sim doesn't work with WebView. Can you explain?

Apologies for the confusion. The MLWebView scripts will not operate in-editor.

These permissions are an ML specific permission and part of the ML2 API and will not work with the MRTKInputSimulator. Only with the app simulator. However this specific permission would not matter in the event that you use the app sim because app sim does not support WebView.

Hopefully this clears things up. Apologies for the inconvenience. I'm happy to help find a workaround based on your use case, though.