Does the ML2 controller/totem still use the same magnetic field tracking technology as the ML1?

Does the ML2 controller/totem still use the same magnetic field tracking technology as the ML1?

The experience we are creating requires the totem to work without camera tracking– due to the location being used (inside a moving vehicle)

We have a working demo running on an ML1 headset, but we need to know if ML2 controllers still uses magnetic field 6DOF tracking technology before we consider upgrading our headset.

Kind regards,
Michael

1 Like

@michaelbjmcdonald , the ML2 does not use the same EM filed tracking method as ML1. We use an inside-out SLAM camera tracking system now:

ML2 Overview (Controller).

1 Like

The use case would be to have a 3D model be parented to the 6DOF controller– while sitting in the back of a car at full speed.

1 Like

Thanks Sengelman,

When it says "Controller tracking should still work when there is no direct line of sight." Does that mean it will work? Or that it hasn't really been tested?" Would I be able to get a full refund if it doesn't work in the situation of loosing camera tracking?

Cheers,
Michael

1 Like

Controller tracking is much improved. It's a reliable inside-out tracking system.

1 Like

Thanks,

I understand this. But I need to know if it will still be able to fallback to the non-camera dependant tracking system– and have the controller run 100% of the time without the need of any tracking cameras.

Cheers

2 Likes

This is just my anecdotal experience. When I'm standing still, the controller can go out of view and still perform well enough without disconnecting. When I'm moving, the controller disconnects almost immediately when it loses line of sight.

GoKart & FigmanXR for an example: FigmanXR and GoKarts and MagicLeap 2 - YouTube

Hope that helps.

1 Like

@mr.elenbaas this looks more empirical than anecdotal. I'll report this to our Controller team.

2 Likes