ZI's PC simulator is unstable

Give us as much detail as possible regarding the issue you're experiencing.

Unity Editor version: 2022.2.0b4
ML2 OS version:-
MLSDK version:0.53.2
PC:Windows 10 PC

PC simulation of ZI is running unstable.

After starting ZI, playback was performed in Unity Editor.
The following error occurs.

ZIF] ZI runtime not found
UnityEngine.Debug:LogErrorFormat (string,object[])
MagicLeap.ZI.EnvironmentPathProvider:Update (string,bool) (at Library/PackageCache/com.magicleap.zifunity@e8996832c6eb/ZIFUnity/ZIBridge/ServiceProviders/EnvironmentPathProvider.cs:58)
MagicLeap.ZI.LuminSdkPathProvider:Update (string,bool) (at Library/PackageCache/com.magicleap.zifunity@e8996832c6eb/ZIFUnity/ZIBridge/ServiceProviders/LuminSdkPathProvider.cs:76)
MagicLeap.ZI.ZIBridge:UpdateSDKPaths (bool) (at Library/PackageCache/com.magicleap.zifunity@e8996832c6eb/ZIFUnity/ZIBridge/ZIBridgeEnvironmentManagement.cs:61)
MagicLeap.ZI.ZIBridge:OnEditorApplicationUpdate () (at Library/PackageCache/com.magicleap.zifunity@e8996832c6eb/ZIFUnity/ZIBridge/ZIBridge.cs:65)
UnityEditor.EditorApplication:Internal_CallUpdateFunctions ()

The Unity Editor's pause button is pressed.
Press the Pause button on the Unity Editor again.
When the Game tab of the Unity Editor is selected and displayed, the 3D model displayed in the Game tab is also displayed on the ZI screen. (The 3D model is also rotated on the ZI screen.)
https://twitter.com/tokufxug/status/1558786264991932416

When anything other than the Game tab of the Unity Editor is selected, the 3D model on the ZI screen is displayed. (The 3D model rotation process is stopped on the ZI screen.)
When a window other than the Unity Editor is selected, such as the ZI window, or when the mouse is clicked on the desktop, the 3D model will not appear on the ZI screen. (The 3D model suddenly disappears.)
When the Game tab of the Unity Editor is selected and displayed again, the 3D model displayed in the Game tab is also displayed on the ZI screen. (The 3D model is also rotated on the ZI screen.)
Since this is a Win PC, OpenGL Core is used.

@tokufxug Welcome to the Forums!

From your error message, it looks like you may be missing a package from The Lab. Can you verify you've installed the package shown in the screenshot below (highlighted and expanded)?

1 Like

Hello @sengelman
I opened The Lab 2.0 in Package Manager and checked.
Zero Iteration (ZI) Runtime was already installed.

@sengelman
The following warning message appears and the file path string is garbled.
[Make sure Zero Iteration is installed in The Lab 2.0.

@sengelman Here is a video preview using Unity and ZI.

Thank you for the report, Tokuyama-san. I have informed our Zero Iteration team and I will await their response.

1 Like

@tokufxug , can you open The Lab 2.0, and Save Diagnostic Logs, then send us the .zip file that gets created?

1 Like

@sengelman I have sent a bug report with Diagnostic Logs attached.
I just found out that you can attach zip files to this forum as well. :sweat_smile:
TheLabLogs-20220823-205016-win.zip (247.5 KB)

1 Like

@sengelman Right now I do not have ML2 at hand; the Japanese release of ML2 is scheduled for the end of this year at the earliest. (I personally think it will be beyond 2023, based on the current supply of ML2.) If ZI does not work, the verification and development of ML2 will come to a complete halt.
I would like to know the timeline for the completion of the investigation here.

@tokufxug:

I was advised to provide you with the following possible steps:

1. Use ZIFUnity directly instead of The Lab, or
  2. Uninstall ZIFUnity from Unity.

Can you tell me if either of these things resolve your issue using ZI?

1 Like

@sengelman
At first I used ZIFUnity as written below and got the following error: ZIFUnity will not start.
https://developer.magicleap.cloud/learn/docs/guides/developer-tools/zero-iteration/zi-unity-zif

Failed to start the ZI server: the requested object does not exist
UnityEngine.Debug:LogError (object)
MagicLeap.ZI.AsyncTask`1<bool>:ProcessEvent (MagicLeap.ZI.AsyncEvent) (at Library/PackageCache/com.magicleap.zifunity@e8996832c6eb/ZIFUnity/Async/AsyncTask.cs:141)
MagicLeap.ZI.AsyncTask`1<bool>:ProcessEvents () (at Library/PackageCache/com.magicleap.zifunity@e8996832c6eb/ZIFUnity/Async/AsyncTask.cs:154)
MagicLeap.ZI.AsyncTask`1/<>c__DisplayClass4_0/<<Start>g__ProcessSessionStart|0>d<bool>:MoveNext () (at Library/PackageCache/com.magicleap.zifunity@e8996832c6eb/ZIFUnity/Async/AsyncTask.cs:52)
Unity.EditorCoroutines.Editor.EditorCoroutine/YieldProcessor:MoveNext (System.Collections.IEnumerator) (at Library/PackageCache/com.unity.editorcoroutines@1.0.0/Editor/EditorCoroutine.cs:80)
Unity.EditorCoroutines.Editor.EditorCoroutine:ProcessIEnumeratorRecursive (System.Collections.IEnumerator) (at Library/PackageCache/com.unity.editorcoroutines@1.0.0/Editor/EditorCoroutine.cs:134)
Unity.EditorCoroutines.Editor.EditorCoroutine:MoveNext () (at Library/PackageCache/com.unity.editorcoroutines@1.0.0/Editor/EditorCoroutine.cs:115)
UnityEditor.EditorApplication:Internal_CallUpdateFunctions ()

@sengelman
I uninstalled ZIFUnity and ran it with The Lab 2.0 ZI and it worked without error.
Incidentally, when the Game tab of Unity is selected, the rotational motion of the 3D model on the ZI side is smooth.
When the Game tab is not selected, the rotational motion of the 3D model almost stops.

@sengelman For the time being, I will verify the operation with The Lab 2.0's ZI.
However, since ZIFUnity does not currently work, I personally have no problem lowering the priority, but would like to know the cause of the non-working.
Is it a bug in the ZIFUnity situation? Is it due to my misconfiguration?

@tokufxug , can you make sure these options are selected?

We believe it will improve the ZIF performance.

1 Like

It was already set up. It seems to depend on the performance of the Win PC I am using, so no problem.

1 Like