Differences between the two types of Magic Leap 2

There seem to be two types of ML2 devices: Secure devices and Unsecure devices.
What kind of devices are these? By the way, I am M90AA004_RA, so I am in Secure devices.

Thanks.
Sadao Tokuyama

This post will clear this up:

If you're asking "what is the difference between the two?" The simple answer is pre-release units are non-secure.

1 Like

This does not require a response, but I think the developer who is open to the public will question the fact that there are two different types. It is rather important to have these explanations or not.

As we approach general availability, these pre-release units will be phased out and our messaging will be shifted to only refer to what are now referred to as "secure" devices.

Just for curious, what is the technical difference between these? What makes one secure and another one unsecure?

Hi @kegom,

Insecure devices will boot unsigned images. Secure devices only boot signed images.

It is likely that you will receive a secure device, though.

Best,

El

To make sure, you mean that the bootloader of "insecure ML2" isn't locked? And that is the only difference?

And "secure ML2" ones have locked bootloader?↓

Unsecured devices were the developer devices that were used by a select few of early access partners. However all of these devices have been collected by Magic Leap.

Okay, but just curious, the only difference was in the bootloader? Insecure ones aren't locked and secure ones are?

They were early access devices so the hardware may have changed slightly. However, I’m not sure.