(Continued) USB or Bluetooth Keyboard input lag in Android apps (idling?)

Continuing the discussion from USB or Bluetooth Keyboard input lag in Android apps (idling?):

It seems even with the new release this problem still occurs. Both ConnectBot and Termux exhibit lagging keyboard input. Display updates seem to lag about 2-3 keys behind.

Please let us know if there's some way to overcome this input/idle lag.

Thank you.

2 Likes

@paklnet Does this only happen when you're SSH-ing using these Android apps? Does it happen if you run, for example, a text editor that you'd also find in F-Droid?

1 Like

It happens when running Linux terminals locally even without SSHing. If there’s a particular APK you’d like me to try let me know.

Thank you.

1 Like

@paklnet I don't think I understand. Notwithstanding the SSH applications, are you saying that any HID-enabled control peripheral introduces latency at the OS level when supplying input?

1 Like

Hi @paklnet, any additional info you can provide on the question above? Thank you for your post.

1 Like

Hi there -- I just installed 1.1.0-dev and can confirm the issue is still present -- even on non-SSH applications. For example:

1. Install "termux" (no SSH, but it does have a terminal window)
  2. Connect a USB keyboard
  3. Start typing/running commands.

The updating will eventually stop, especially if controller's ray is outside the Android window.

@paklnet I don't think I understand. Notwithstanding the SSH applications, are you saying that any HID-enabled control peripheral introduces latency at the OS level when supplying input?

I can't make a blanket statement for "any" HID-enabled control peripheral, only for the two USB keyboards I have tested as well as the bluetooth keyboard I tried.

Furthermore I think it's probably not right to call this introduced OS-level "latency" or "lag" as I called it earlier because the output/updates pause entirely. They're not slower, or delayed -- the window is paused or frozen.

To get the console window to update, it requires additional keypresses or sometimes moving the Magic Leap ray back into the window — this wakes it back up.

1 Like

This appears to be resolved in 1.1.0!! Bluetooth keyboard input is very smooth to ConnectBot and TermUX.