Best UE lighting/rendering options?

Hi,

I was wondering what the best lighting and rendering settings are for Unreal development. Any suggestions would be great!

Hi @rob42lou,

Do you have a desired look for the lighting? I have reached out to our team to find best practices.

Best,

El

Not a particular look, I'm more curious about what rendering settings are officially supported, especially lighting as I'm getting a weird black static when using the video capture on the Magic Leap Hub which is made more visible when making the UI more opaque.

I'm sorry that you're experiencing this issue. I'll be sure to move this over to our team. Can you please provide a screenshot of the lighting settings and the noise that you are seeing in your capture so that we can better diagnose your issue.

Best,

El

Sure.

I've tried several lighting options to no avail. Are there any updates or thoughts on this? It does continue to occur with a shipping packaged build. However the static doesn't occur when using a Unity app.

Hi @rob42lou,

We don't quite yet have a solution for this issue. As a workaround, would you mind trying to disable segmented dimming or setting the alpha value of the UI to 0 to hide the noise during the capture?

Best,

El

I can, however it makes the product incredibly hard to see and won't make for a great demo.

I managed to fix this by:

-Turning off Mobile HDR
-executing "xr.OpenXREnvironmentBlendMode 3" as a console command
-Changing the rendering setting "Enable alpha channel support in post processing" to "Allow through tonemapper".

Unsure if all of these are needed. Black colors also appear transparent in stream.

This is a bad solution however as this breaks some post processing effects.