3D models are glowing too bright in the device problem

Hi,

I have some 3D models that are exported from maya with PBR texture maps like base color, metallic, roughness map and normal map attached to it, I am using ArnoldStandardSurface shader.
3D models within the Magic Leap 2 device are glowing very bright to the eye, we have also used segmented dimming, not sure on how to make the 3D models look better for the eye.

Does anyone have any suggestions or fixes for it ? Thanks.

Unity Editor version: 2022.2.17f1
MLSDK version: 1.4.0
Host OS: Windows

Error messages from logs (syntax-highlighting is supported via Markdown):

Hi @prakar.pradhan,

Welcome to the Magic Leap 2 Developer Forums. We are so grateful to have you here engaging with us.

How does it look when you use URP/Lit shader?

Best,

El

Hi @etucker , in terms of viewing the props, they are still very bright to the eye with URP/Lit shader

In terms of output, the props look like this in the device.

How is the lighting set up in your Unity scene? How do your segmented dimming settings look?

Here are unity lighting set up and segmented dimming setting.

Thank you for providing these additional details. I will create a bug report for this and will refer to our team on this issue. Let me know if you have any further details or discoveries in the meantime.

Can you verify the quality settings in the Editor are set to the Android default settings? Can you try reproducing this issue inside the Magic Leap Unity Examples? Can you try disabling the post processing effect. It looks like the models have an outline shader which could be effecting the brightness of the image.

If possible do you mind sharing an image from the Unity editor and another one taken using the Advanced capture on the Magic Leap Hub or system capture on the Magic Leap? Does a standard URP shader appear bright to you as well?

Yes, the quality settings in the Editor are set to the Android default settings.
We tried it in one of the example scene, also the post processing effect was disabled too, and still got the same output. We disabled the outline in the models previously to see changes, and it still had the glow effect.
The standard URP shader also appears bright to us.

Magic leap captures :

Unity editor images :

When looking at the example scenes, are the only objects with the glow the ones that you imported or are the meshes that were already in the scene glowing as well?

We used the meshing example scene as the base to try out some models for viewing, and in it, the default green mesh was bright to the eye, along with the rest of the model added to the scene. The props that are black in color don't glow.

Hi @prakar.pradhan
I was wondering if you could post some pictures of the device. As well as some pictures through the lens of the home menu.
thank you,
-Sidney

I would also like to note that the brightness of the material/texture translates to the brightness of the display. this causes bright objects to render brighter on the ML2. Since the display is additive the objects can appear to glow when using the device in low light.

I recommend playing around with your display settings on the Magic Leap 2 device by decreasing the brightness or enabling auto brightness. You can also adjust the display profiles from the Display options in the settings application.

You can also try wiping both sides of the lenses gently. Smudges may cause the light to refract unintentionally.

Best,

El

Hi @sfernandez ,
These are the screenshots that were asked of

Hi @etucker ,
We tried playing around with the brightness options available in the device, the strain to the eye got reduced but white glow was still present.

Hi @prakar.pradhan
It looks like the lens protectors might still be on the lenses of the device.
-Sidney

Took the lens protector off, but the models are still very bright.

Hi @prakar.pradhan
I am wondering if you could possibly post some updated pictures of the home screen through the lens. Additionally if you could post a picture through the lens of one of the meshes that is too bright, along with a capture of that mesh via the device. I am trying to determine if this is a care issue or a software issue, thank you.
-Sidney

Hi @sfernandez
Here are the updated pictures requested,

Thank you.

@prakar.pradhan thank you for those images. The home screen now is looking correct, which is a good baseline to start debugging your scene. I am going to DM you about this.