Any plans to support the Unity Video player?

I was wondering if there's any plans to support Unity's standard video player, I know it's not currently supported and that we are supposed to use the MLVideoPlayerBehavior instead, but for example for me it would be too much work to do that conversion since I have so much codebase relying on Unity's player.

1 Like

Hi @javier, thanks for the question. We’re currently working with Unity on a possible bug with the Vulkan driver. We do expect this to be fixed but unfortunately we don’t have any timelines at the moment.

1 Like

Hey @kdowney, was hoping my team and I could chime in and see if there was any updates on the progress for the Unity Video Player/Vulkan bug fix?

1 Like

Hi @robert.ellis. Afraid not. There's a crash in the Vulkan driver that prevents Unity's MediaPlayer from running on Magic Leap 2. We have a bug report in for that but it is still present.

1 Like

Hello,

Please escalate this if able: The ML Video players is the only one we can use reliably on ML2; the Unity (android) player is “not supported” and has also proven flakey or unusable in our testing on ML2 depending on the SDK (it worked great on ML1!). The problem is that were cannot preview videos or any player dependencies in the Unity Editor: it is not supported by the ML player. Therefore, testing is very iterative and time consuming. Ideally, ML2 can use the standard Unity player. OR, alternately, the ML video player will function normally in Editor (even if it is just a conditional override using the Unity player in editor, as long as it is called transparently and supports the same basics like scrubbing, pausing, etc. --I believe the ML1 implementation worked that way).