Meshing - Point Cloud - What can we do with it?

Hi, I have been experimenting with meshing and was able to successfully get it to work in my project. I can play with the different rendering types like wireframe, occlusion, mesh and point cloud.

With any other type other than point cloud it works well and can successfully place 3d models over my physical space like the floor and my real sofa, which is very neat, however I noticed that point cloud does not handle collision meaning I cannot place anything over it without having it drop in the void.

So, I was wondering what is the purpose of point cloud and what can we do with it?
Can collision detection even be used with Point Cloud?

1 Like

Thanks for your post @jc1. Let me get you an answer on that.

1 Like

Point Clouds are a series of points in space presented visually instead of through an interconnected topology. Basically you make a mesh out of generating many points from photos and combining them. The reason collisions aren’t working when using point clouds is because they’re just points in space. Wireframes, Mesh and Occlusions use points to create triangles/meshes that include collisions.

With point clouds, you can create 3D CAD models for manufactured parts, for measurement and quality inspection, and for a variety of artistic visualization, animation and rendering applications. Please let me know if this helps.

1 Like